Moireen and Aaron Ruotsala
Co-Founders, Charitable Foundation
Since losing their three-year-old son Cole to cancer, Aaron and Moireen Ruotsala have dedicated their lives to providing hope and consolation to other families whose children are afflicted with cancer.
In 2011, the couple sold their home and bought a motor coach that they use to travel the country. They visit children in hospitals and speak at schools and churches to increase support for the care of pediatric cancer patients and their families.
Aaron and Moireen also established a nonprofit, Cole’s Foundation, and created a website with a special section for children: “Kids Unite to Fight.” The site invites visitors to share good news, celebrate loved ones, post urgent prayer requests and “Send-a-Smile” by ordering balloons and gifts for children in treatment.
Aaron also authored a book, entitled “Cole, I Love You to the Moon and Back,” about his family, their incalculable loss and their faith.
Through Cole’s Foundation and their daily lives, Aaron and Moireen are creating a community of support for families whose children are fighting grave illness.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Kate Murphy
- James E. Bradner, MD
- James C. Cusack Jr., MD
- Children’s Tumor Foundation
- Philip Gosnell
- Yi-Bin A. Chen, MD
- Pamela Manikas Washek
- Andrea Paciello
- Cristina R. Ferrone, MD
- Jennifer E. D’Alotto, MSW, LCSW
- David E. Fisher, MD, PhD
- Friends of Jaclyn
- Breast Intentions, Massachusetts Chapter
- Chad Juros
- Kevin Campbell
- Dorothy Binford
- Kathy Quinn, RN, BSN, OCN
- Comprehensive Grammar School Kids Cancer Club
- Linda J. Verville Cancer Research Foundation
- Eileen McGuirk’s Flash Mob
- Gordon B. Zacks
- Tiffany Koolakian, RTT
- Joshua Sommer
- Bruce A. Chabner, MD
- Ellen Sigal, PhD
- Donna Karan and the Urban Zen Foundation
- Uniting Against Lung Cancer
- David J. Kuter, MD, Dphil
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Evangelos S. Gragoudas, MD
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.