Moireen and Aaron Ruotsala
Co-Founders, Charitable Foundation
Since losing their three-year-old son Cole to cancer, Aaron and Moireen Ruotsala have dedicated their lives to providing hope and consolation to other families whose children are afflicted with cancer.
In 2011, the couple sold their home and bought a motor coach that they use to travel the country. They visit children in hospitals and speak at schools and churches to increase support for the care of pediatric cancer patients and their families.
Aaron and Moireen also established a nonprofit, Cole’s Foundation, and created a website with a special section for children: “Kids Unite to Fight.” The site invites visitors to share good news, celebrate loved ones, post urgent prayer requests and “Send-a-Smile” by ordering balloons and gifts for children in treatment.
Aaron also authored a book, entitled “Cole, I Love You to the Moon and Back,” about his family, their incalculable loss and their faith.
Through Cole’s Foundation and their daily lives, Aaron and Moireen are creating a community of support for families whose children are fighting grave illness.
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Belinda and Henri Termeer
- Winter Vinecki
- Grace Cohen
- Keith D. Lillemoe, MD
- Margaret B. Pulsifer, PhD
- Annika, Gabriella and Jack Johnson
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, Hospital Outreach Program
- Kimberly Shannon, RN
- Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition
- BOTSwana Oncology Global Outreach (BOTSOGO)
- Sarah, Gail and Christopher Doktor
- Carrie A. Quadrino
- Eric S. Lander, PhD
- Patricia Nolf
- Brian J. MacDonnell, RN
- Anthony H. Russell, MD
- The Melanoma Research Alliance
- David S. Rosenthal, MD
- Richard A. Hodin, MD
- Charles L. Sawyers, MD
- Father John P. Kearns
- Patricia L. Nebus, RN
- Shore Country Day Boys Basketball Team
- Valerie Harper
- Remy A. Stressenger
- Nanci Newton
- Jerry Younger, MD
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- Ellen M. Fitzgerald, RN
- Frederick (Fritz) C. Koerner, MD
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.