Moireen and Aaron Ruotsala
Co-Founders, Charitable Foundation
Since losing their three-year-old son Cole to cancer, Aaron and Moireen Ruotsala have dedicated their lives to providing hope and consolation to other families whose children are afflicted with cancer.
In 2011, the couple sold their home and bought a motor coach that they use to travel the country. They visit children in hospitals and speak at schools and churches to increase support for the care of pediatric cancer patients and their families.
Aaron and Moireen also established a nonprofit, Cole’s Foundation, and created a website with a special section for children: “Kids Unite to Fight.” The site invites visitors to share good news, celebrate loved ones, post urgent prayer requests and “Send-a-Smile” by ordering balloons and gifts for children in treatment.
Aaron also authored a book, entitled “Cole, I Love You to the Moon and Back,” about his family, their incalculable loss and their faith.
Through Cole’s Foundation and their daily lives, Aaron and Moireen are creating a community of support for families whose children are fighting grave illness.
Help us honor the 2014 one hundredNominate Your Cancer Hero
- James C. Cusack Jr., MD
- Amy S. Colwell, MD, FACS
- Ann Murray Paige
- Stephanie Quinn, MSW, LICSW
- Richard L. Deming, MD
- Betty J. Borry Breast Cancer Retreats
- David J. Kuter, MD, Dphil
- Pamela Manikas Washek
- Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
- Kim Rock, Michael Jones and Tricia Ferguson – Institution for Savings
- Mary Philopoulos
- Uniting Against Lung Cancer
- Kathy Giusti
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Corey Jacobson
- Tristan’s Gift of Hope Foundation
- Yi-Bin A. Chen, MD
- Karen J. Krag, MD
- Ellen Sigal, PhD
- Kailie Laflamme, LICSW
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- John Murphy
- Estelle Sugarman
- Lori Wirth
- Linda J. Verville Cancer Research Foundation
- Vicki A. Jackson, MD, MPH
- Kevin Campbell
- Jeff Warren
- Harrison Strickler
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer.
There is strength in numbers and Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center proves this each year. the one hundred is the Cancer Center’s annual fundraiser, honoring 100 individuals and groups whose diligence and discoveries, philanthropy and passion have helped advance the fight against cancer. Funds raised at the gala support research, patient care, education and community outreach programs. Meet the Honorees.