Alice T. Shaw, MD, PhD
Alice Shaw, MD, PhD, a thoracic oncologist at the Mass General Cancer Center, treats her patients with the best of science and the best of humanity.
“Alice is an uncommon blend of brilliance and compassion,” writes Linnea Duff, who finds in Dr. Shaw the expertise of a top clinician and researcher and the joyful spirit of a mother of two young children.
“My relationship with her has greatly advanced my understanding of lung cancer while validating my personal experiences,” says Linnea. “When coping with a serious illness, that validation is empowering.”
An expert in the genetic signature of Linnea’s lung cancer, Dr. Shaw is principal investigator of a clinical trial of a targeted therapy, the oral ALK inhibitor crizotinib. The trial led to FDA approval of the drug last year.
“When I first entered the trial,” writes Linnea, “I believed I was near the end of my life. I am alive and well and the trial shows great promise. But should we need to change course, Alice has her finger on the pulse of new developments.
“Alice is my super-hero. She is contributing to the future of cancer research and treatment. And she is doing her best to make sure I have a future as well.”
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Dejan Juric, MD
- Robert Stabile, RPh, BCOP
- Dancing With The Teachers
- Angels Above
- Karen M. Winkfield, MD, PhD
- Kimberly Shannon, RN
- Patricia M. LoRusso, DO
- Keisha Cobb
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital Radiation Oncology Treatment Team
- Martha Keochareon
- Susan Wornick
- The Paul Foundation
- Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund
- Christina Kim, NP
- The Melanoma Research Alliance
- Gaddy A. Getz, PhD
- Caring for a Cure
- Richard A. Hodin, MD
- LUNGevity Foundation
- David L. Berger, MD
- BOTSwana Oncology Global Outreach (BOTSOGO)
- Jerry Younger, MD
- Central Maine Medical Center, Outpatient Medical Oncology/Infusion Center Nursing Staff
- Frederick (Fritz) C. Koerner, MD
- 2013 Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Youth Crew
- Annika, Gabriella and Jack Johnson
- Dan Dewey
- Shore Country Day Boys Basketball Team
- Carol Sullivan
- E. John Opolski, RN
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.