For more than 14 years, Ann Hochberg has opened her home and her heart to hundreds of Mass General fans on Marathon Monday. These fans are cheering on the Mass General Marathon Team, “Fighting Kids’ Cancer … One Step at a Time,” founded by Ann’s husband, Howard Weinstein, MD, chief of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at the MassGeneral Hospital for Children Cancer Center.
Their home is located along the marathon route at Mile 20. The number of runners, patient-partners, families, Mass General volunteers and employees who gather here grows each year.
Ann solicits local restaurants, shops and members of her community for food and drink donations in the months leading up to the big day, so that she can entertain Mass General supporters without using hospital funds. She has given pediatric cancer patients, Mass General runners and their supporters a cheering section and a warm, welcoming place to sit, rest and urge on the runners who are raising vital funds to support the clinic. She also supports her children and other local children, who run a lemonade stand and bake sale at Mile 20 that also raises funds for the clinic, and teaches the children about the importance of helping others.
Ann is undoubtedly an unsung hero in the fight against cancer.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- George R. Lillie, RN
- Dorothy Binford
- Tina Capodilupo Journeay
- Estelle Sugarman
- Harrison Strickler
- Tristan’s Gift of Hope Foundation
- Ann Murray Paige
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Richard L. Deming, MD
- Breast Intentions, Massachusetts Chapter
- Children’s Tumor Foundation
- Kailie Laflamme, LICSW
- Yi-Bin A. Chen, MD
- Cristina R. Ferrone, MD
- Jason Maxwell
- Nancy Lee Harris, MD
- Marla Serwin
- Shiv Pillai, MD, PhD
- Tim Cummings, MSW, LICSW
- Joshua Sommer
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Kate Murphy
- Pamela Manikas Washek
- Joel H. Schwartz, MD, FACP
- Barry Lipsett & Charles River Apparel
- Tyler Jacks, PhD
- Sue de Vries Cancer Foundation
- Michelle Boutin, Karen Ingwersen, RN, and Michael Keamy
- Kathy Quinn, RN, BSN, OCN
- Tiffany Koolakian, RTT
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.