Co-Founder, Charitable Foundation
Anne Fallon and her boyfriend, Evan Spirito (pictured here), were only 21 years old when Evan was diagnosed with stage IV non-small cell lung cancer. Anne took a semester off from college to be with Evan during his first round of chemotherapy at the Mass General Cancer Center. She helped care for Evan along with his parents, Susan and Tony, and his sister Mia.
Eventually Evan transferred his care to the University of Colorado Medical Center in Denver, where he and Anne could complete their degrees at Colorado College. When he relapsed and resumed treatment at Mass General, Anne returned to Massachusetts with him. She cared for Evan while he was at home and during his extended hospital stays.
Evan died at age 24, surrounded by his loved ones, including Anne. After his death, Anne helped to found the Evan Spirito Memorial Foundation. Reflecting Evan’s values, its dual mission is to provide scholarship aid to students in need who demonstrate sportsmanship, character and concern for others, and to support lung cancer research.
Anne helped to organize a golf tournament that raised $50,000 to support the research of Evan’s oncologist at Mass General, Alice T. Shaw, MD, PhD. She then recruited a team to join her in a grueling Spartan Race at Fenway Park. Her team garnered more than 130 sponsors and raised $10,000 more to support Dr. Shaw’s research.
Anne’s ongoing devotion is an inspiration to Evan’s family and friends.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Pennies from Heaven
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
- Steve Beauville
- Barry Lipsett & Charles River Apparel
- Mary Philopoulos
- Yi-Bin A. Chen, MD
- Kate Murphy
- Yovanny Fana
- Jeanne Griffin Vaughn, NP
- Amy S. Colwell, MD, FACS
- Kathy Quinn, RN, BSN, OCN
- Kailie Laflamme, LICSW
- Ellen Sigal, PhD
- Children’s Tumor Foundation
- Ann H. Partridge, MD, MPH
- St. Mary’s High School Baseball Team
- Nicole McNerney
- Lori Wirth
- Michelle Boutin, Karen Ingwersen, RN, and Michael Keamy
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Sailing Heals
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Brian N. Napolitano
- Edwin K. Lamport
- Friends of Jaclyn
- John Murphy
- Chad Juros
- Lori Grassette
- George R. Lillie, RN
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.