Seven-year-old Ario is a superhero to the staff of Mass General’s Francis H. Burr Proton Therapy Center. When he arrived to begin treatment for his brain tumor, Ario announced that he did not want to sleep and did not want needles. Anesthesia is typically used to relax pediatric patients undergoing proton therapy. The staff worked together to help Ario achieve his goal of anesthesia-free treatment.
Two weeks into therapy, they asked him if he would like to teach other children how to have treatments without sedation. He gladly agreed to their proposal. While two six-year-olds and their parents watched, Ario cheerfully entered the treatment room and went through the steps of getting into position for treatment. He then accompanied each child into the room for a practice session. A staff member held him up so that he could see the child’s face and offer encouragement.
Both children did well and received treatment without anesthesia. One of Ario’s protégées then trained a six-year-old girl to have sedative-free treatment. Now she is teaching another patient.
With his kindness, happy spirit and knack for teaching, Ario has helped other children avoid side effects of anesthesia and gain self-esteem and courage at a challenging time.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Ellen Sigal, PhD
- Brian N. Napolitano
- Kathy Quinn, RN, BSN, OCN
- Julia Hincman-Francavilla, MS, RD, LDN, CSO
- Rhonda McGrail
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Pennies from Heaven
- Linda J. Verville Cancer Research Foundation
- Tiffany Koolakian, RTT
- Barry Lipsett & Charles River Apparel
- Mary Philopoulos
- Cristina R. Ferrone, MD
- Kate Murphy
- Sandra Creamer, RN, OCN, NP, PhD
- Julian Adams, PhD
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Shiv Pillai, MD, PhD
- Richard L. Deming, MD
- Douglas J. Mathisen, MD
- Donna Karan and the Urban Zen Foundation
- Kevin Campbell
- David E. Fisher, MD, PhD
- Ann H. Partridge, MD, MPH
- Lazarex Foundation
- Dorothy Binford
- Anne Fallon
- Kathy Giusti
- Mary F. Fay, RN, BSN, OCN
- Eileen McGuirk’s Flash Mob
- Karen J. Krag, MD
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.