Founder, Charitable Organization
When Lucy Grogan was 8 years old, she was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia. She was able to access integrative therapies like acupuncture, massage, Reiki and chiropractic care, which eased her pain during four years of treatment, one relapse and a bone marrow transplant, thanks to the generosity of friends, family and her community.
Two weeks before she passed away on July 21, 2006, Lucy told her mother, Beecher (pictured center with Lucy’s Love Bus volunteers), that when she was “done” with cancer, she wanted to start a program that would help provide free integrative therapies to other children like her undergoing cancer treatment. With Lucy’s spirit and goal defining the mission, Beecher founded Lucy’s Love Bus™. The organization eases the suffering of pediatric cancer patients by providing services and therapies such as massage, acupuncture and therapeutic horseback riding to children with cancer and children coping with late effects of prior cancer treatment. Beecher and her organization honor Lucy’s memory by delivering love and comfort to children with cancer by ensuring access to care that can help manage the side effects and impact of traditional cancer treatment.
Help us honor the 2014 one hundredNominate Your Cancer Hero
- Uniting Against Lung Cancer
- Julia Hincman-Francavilla, MS, RD, LDN, CSO
- George R. Lillie, RN
- Lori Grassette
- Vicki A. Jackson, MD, MPH
- Evangelos S. Gragoudas, MD
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Ashley Bonner
- Tiffany Koolakian, RTT
- Breast Intentions, Massachusetts Chapter
- Kim Rock, Michael Jones and Tricia Ferguson – Institution for Savings
- St. Mary’s High School Baseball Team
- Corey Jacobson
- Sandra Creamer, RN, OCN, NP, PhD
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Arul M. Chinnaiyan, MD, PhD
- Ann H. Partridge, MD, MPH
- Mara G. Bloom, JD
- Pamela Manikas Washek
- James C. Cusack Jr., MD
- Anne Fallon
- Comprehensive Grammar School Kids Cancer Club
- Joshua Sommer
- Ann Murray Paige
- Robert Howe
- Kathy Giusti
- Betty J. Borry Breast Cancer Retreats
- Dell, Inc.
- Tim Cummings, MSW, LICSW
- James E. Bradner, MD
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer.
There is strength in numbers and Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center proves this each year. the one hundred is the Cancer Center’s annual fundraiser, honoring 100 individuals and groups whose diligence and discoveries, philanthropy and passion have helped advance the fight against cancer. Funds raised at the gala support research, patient care, education and community outreach programs. Meet the Honorees.