Betsy Neisner is the devoted director of a cherished haven for cancer patients, an advocate of nationwide renown, and the counselor of choice for countless women coping with ovarian cancer, the disease that transformed her life.
Formerly an attorney, Betsy changed her career seven years ago after treatment for the first of several recurrences of ovarian cancer. Betsy turned to advocacy for individuals diagnosed with cancer, their families and caregivers as director of Cancer Connection, in Northampton, Mass., a community cancer support center which provides free one-to-one guidance, support groups, complementary therapies and programs to strengthen the body and nurture the spirit from diagnosis through treatment and beyond.For the past two years, she has served as a consumer reviewer on ovarian cancer panels for the Department of Defense’s Congressionally Directed MedicalResearch Program.
Betsy spearheads a nationwide campaign to remedy shortages of key chemotherapies and other essential drugs. She also serves as a patient representative on the Massachusetts GeneralHospital’s drug shortage task force team.
Even on vacation, Betsy serves others. For 10 years at the annual Ovarian Cancer Retreat at Camp Mak-A-Dream in Montana, she has led a rousing chorus and conducted workshops on advocacy.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Philip Gosnell
- George R. Lillie, RN
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Mara G. Bloom, JD
- Yi-Bin A. Chen, MD
- Uniting Against Lung Cancer
- Lisa Gatti Whelan, RN, BSN
- Kate Murphy
- Ellen Sigal, PhD
- Children’s Tumor Foundation
- Pamela Manikas Washek
- Anne Fallon
- Amy S. Colwell, MD, FACS
- St. Mary’s High School Baseball Team
- Dell, Inc.
- Breast Intentions, Massachusetts Chapter
- Ann Murray Paige
- Stephanie Quinn, MSW, LICSW
- Tim Cummings, MSW, LICSW
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Friends of Jaclyn
- Nicole McNerney
- Nancy Lee Harris, MD
- Kim Rock, Michael Jones and Tricia Ferguson – Institution for Savings
- Michelle Boutin, Karen Ingwersen, RN, and Michael Keamy
- Lazarex Foundation
- Dorothy Binford
- Nancy and Richard Kelleher
- Mary Philopoulos
- Sue de Vries Cancer Foundation
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.