Big Y is a family-owned and operated supermarket chain with more than 60 locations and 10,000 employees. From its start in 1936 in Chicopee, MA, Big Y has aimed to give back to the community. Prominent among the causes that Big Y champions is breast cancer awareness and services for patients with breast cancer.
CEO Donald D’Amour writes, “Yes, we’re a grocery store. But it’s my hope that Big Y can be more than that — that we can be a trusted partner in your family’s ongoing health and wellness.”
Since 2007, the company has donated more than $850,000 to 17 nonprofits across New England dedicated to serving patients with breast cancer through its annual “Partners of Hope” campaign.
All 64 of its supermarkets take part in the month-long campaign. Every October, Big Y offers a variety of fundraising incentives, including donations from selected purchases taken at checkouts. In 2012, Big Y added a radiothon in partnership with several Western Massachusetts stations and offered transportation to local mammogram facilities.
Using its merchandising prowess, Big Y involves its customers, employees and vendors throughout New England in raising dollars and awareness for breast cancer causes.
Help us honor the 2014 one hundredNominate Your Cancer Hero
- Gordon B. Zacks
- Michelle Boutin, Karen Ingwersen, RN, and Michael Keamy
- Sandra Creamer, RN, OCN, NP, PhD
- Teagan Stedman
- Friends of Jaclyn
- Jay S. Loeffler, MD, FACR, FASTRO
- Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
- Rhonda McGrail
- Yovanny Fana
- Evangelos S. Gragoudas, MD
- Big Y
- Pennies from Heaven
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- John Murphy
- Donna Karan and the Urban Zen Foundation
- Phyllis McNally
- Lori Grassette
- Arul M. Chinnaiyan, MD, PhD
- David J. Kuter, MD, Dphil
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Tim Cummings, MSW, LICSW
- Pamela Manikas Washek
- Lori Wirth
- Sailing Heals
- Nancy and Richard Kelleher
- Don Francis, RN, BSN
- Lazarex Foundation
- Kathy Quinn, RN, BSN, OCN
- Kathleen A. Stakes, RN, MS, CPON
- Children’s Tumor Foundation
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer.
There is strength in numbers and Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center proves this each year. the one hundred is the Cancer Center’s annual fundraiser, honoring 100 individuals and groups whose diligence and discoveries, philanthropy and passion have helped advance the fight against cancer. Funds raised at the gala support research, patient care, education and community outreach programs. Meet the Honorees.