Breast Intentions, Massachusetts Chapter
Kerrie Carnes Salwa regards a diagnosis of breast cancer as a battle cry. As loved ones became patients, Kerrie took action. In October of 2010, she and 14 friends in Clinton, Mass., formed a Massachusetts chapter of the New Jersey-based nonprofit, Breast Intentions. Its mission is to relieve patients and families of financial hardships as they cope with breast cancer.
Kerrie is president of the chapter, which raises funds through events, such as the Breast Intentions Run-Walk, held annually in May. The money goes right back to patients and families, who connect with the chapter through a local social worker or by word of mouth.
Calling itself Team 01510 after Clinton’s zip code, the chapter has paid rent and utility bills; purchased grocery cards, medications and wigs; and provided patients with rides to and from treatments.
Team 01510 draws many volunteers and donations from residents and businesses in Clinton and surrounding towns. Kerrie sees her team as people coming together to ease the burden of their neighbors in need.
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Joseph A. Greer, PhD
- Marlyn Salazar, BS, RTT
- Margaret B. Pulsifer, PhD
- Annika, Gabriella and Jack Johnson
- Chris Draft
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- Chien-Chi Huang
- Brian J. MacDonnell, RN
- Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center–Faith Based Cancer Disparities Network
- Ryan’s Reindeer
- Shore Country Day Boys Basketball Team
- Dan Dewey
- Jim Coghlin Sr. and 15-40 Connection
- Anthony H. Russell, MD
- Malvina and Ben Feinswog
- Stephen A. Scullen
- Arielle Densen
- Dancing With The Teachers
- LUNGevity Foundation
- Think Fit For Kids
- The Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation
- Wolfram Goessling, MD, PhD
- Keith D. Lillemoe, MD
- Roberto DeJesus
- David L. Berger, MD
- Christina Kim, NP
- Clare H. Swan, RN, MSN
- Martha Keochareon
- Nicole Neville and Paige Shin
- BOTSwana Oncology Global Outreach (BOTSOGO)
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.