Breast Intentions, Massachusetts Chapter
Kerrie Carnes Salwa regards a diagnosis of breast cancer as a battle cry. As loved ones became patients, Kerrie took action. In October of 2010, she and 14 friends in Clinton, Mass., formed a Massachusetts chapter of the New Jersey-based nonprofit, Breast Intentions. Its mission is to relieve patients and families of financial hardships as they cope with breast cancer.
Kerrie is president of the chapter, which raises funds through events, such as the Breast Intentions Run-Walk, held annually in May. The money goes right back to patients and families, who connect with the chapter through a local social worker or by word of mouth.
Calling itself Team 01510 after Clinton’s zip code, the chapter has paid rent and utility bills; purchased grocery cards, medications and wigs; and provided patients with rides to and from treatments.
Team 01510 draws many volunteers and donations from residents and businesses in Clinton and surrounding towns. Kerrie sees her team as people coming together to ease the burden of their neighbors in need.
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Peter J. Biggs, PhD
- Haymakers for Hope
- David W. Rattner, MD
- Betty Tang
- Nicole Neville and Paige Shin
- Brian J. MacDonnell, RN
- Caring for a Cure
- Central Maine Medical Center, Outpatient Medical Oncology/Infusion Center Nursing Staff
- Jim Coghlin Sr. and 15-40 Connection
- Richard A. Hodin, MD
- Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund
- Pamela L. Trefler
- William H. Park
- The Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation
- Shelia O’Donoghue, RN, OCN
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, Hospital Outreach Program
- Shore Country Day Boys Basketball Team
- Charles L. Sawyers, MD
- Patricia L. Nebus, RN
- Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition
- Remy A. Stressenger
- Wolfram Goessling, MD, PhD
- Amir T. Fathi, MD
- David S. Rosenthal, MD
- Kolleen M. Taylor
- Nagahiro Saijo, MD, PhD
- Frederick (Fritz) C. Koerner, MD
- Jeff Guyer Family and Friends
- David L. Berger, MD
- Malvina and Ben Feinswog
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.