Breast Intentions, Massachusetts Chapter
Kerrie Carnes Salwa regards a diagnosis of breast cancer as a battle cry. As loved ones became patients, Kerrie took action. In October of 2010, she and 14 friends in Clinton, Mass., formed a Massachusetts chapter of the New Jersey-based nonprofit, Breast Intentions. Its mission is to relieve patients and families of financial hardships as they cope with breast cancer.
Kerrie is president of the chapter, which raises funds through events, such as the Breast Intentions Run-Walk, held annually in May. The money goes right back to patients and families, who connect with the chapter through a local social worker or by word of mouth.
Calling itself Team 01510 after Clinton’s zip code, the chapter has paid rent and utility bills; purchased grocery cards, medications and wigs; and provided patients with rides to and from treatments.
Team 01510 draws many volunteers and donations from residents and businesses in Clinton and surrounding towns. Kerrie sees her team as people coming together to ease the burden of their neighbors in need.
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- The Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation
- Alice B. Hatch
- Shelia O’Donoghue, RN, OCN
- Betty A. Maloney, RN
- Frederick (Fritz) C. Koerner, MD
- Keisha Cobb
- Robert Stabile, RPh, BCOP
- Jerry Younger, MD
- Jordan Rich
- Chien-Chi Huang
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- Granara-Skerry Trust
- David N. Louis, MD
- David W. Rattner, MD
- William F. Pirl, MD, MPH
- Carol Sullivan
- Nicole Neville and Paige Shin
- Rochelle Shoretz
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, Hospital Outreach Program
- Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund
- Richard A. Hodin, MD
- Giovanni’s Gladiators
- William H. Park
- Shore Country Day Boys Basketball Team
- Ronald (Tak) W. Takvorian, MD
- Brian J. MacDonnell, RN
- Susan Wornick
- Stephen A. Scullen
- Pamela L. Trefler
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.