Cathy McGrath, Maureen Cardinal
Cathy McGrath, a breast cancer patient with three small children, was determined to ease the ordeal of treatment and recovery for herself and others.
Cathy designed a smart-looking jacket that builds in features to help manage and conceal post-surgical drains, streamline single-handed dressing, and lessen pain and discomfort. Cathy called the garment the “Jacki,” invoking the stylishness that “Jackie O” brought to daily life.
Cathy and her neighbor Maureen Cardinal created a nonprofit, “A Little Easier Recovery,” that produces and distributes the jacket through hospitals and breast health centers. Now 68 such facilities in 18 states are taking part, helping more than 6,000 patients and their families cope with the daily challenges of cancer treatment.
A grateful patient wrote, “Your gift of the Jacki has helped me go forward looking smart and feminine and feeling confident again.”
In no small way, the well-designed jacket enables patients to restore their independence and dignity.
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Alice B. Hatch
- Betty A. Maloney, RN
- Robert C. Lufkin, DO
- Shore Country Day Boys Basketball Team
- Joseph A. Greer, PhD
- Jordan Rich
- Annika, Gabriella and Jack Johnson
- Patricia Nolf
- Shelia O’Donoghue, RN, OCN
- Granara-Skerry Trust
- The Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation
- Carol Sullivan
- The Paul Foundation
- Ellen M. Fitzgerald, RN
- Jeff Guyer Family and Friends
- Chien-Chi Huang
- Amir T. Fathi, MD
- The Melanoma Research Alliance
- Robert Stabile, RPh, BCOP
- Dancing With The Teachers
- David L. Berger, MD
- Jim Coghlin Sr. and 15-40 Connection
- Brian J. MacDonnell, RN
- Grace Cohen
- Dan Dewey
- David S. Rosenthal, MD
- Malvina and Ben Feinswog
- Frederick (Fritz) C. Koerner, MD
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- David N. Louis, MD
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.