Christine Shaughnessy, RN
Staff Nurse, Lunder 10
Christine Shaughnessy, RN, blends superb nursing skills with an array of related talents to guide patients and their families through the anguish and uncertainties of cancer. Christine drew on her instincts as a sister and daughter to steer one family through their worst weeks.
“Last January my father was rushed to Mass General with leukemia and pneumonia,” writes Julia Bateman. “I’m an only child and I feared losing him and also worried about my mother’s well-being. I would go to the back staircase in Ellison 14 and cry.
“Then I began to appreciate the amazing care of our wonderful team of doctors and nurses. And when Christine’s name was on my father’s white board, I’d go home to rest and have a meal with my mother.
“Christine took my father’s jokes in stride and gave them right back. Whenever he rang the bell, Christine was right there. At times, he just wanted to see her face and laugh with her. Once I walked in to find my father sipping a chocolate milkshake — a reward from Christine for eating his supper.
“Thanks to my father’s entire team, my family felt comforted during such a frightening time. Although I didn’t have siblings to help me through this family crisis, I had Christine.”
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center–Faith Based Cancer Disparities Network
- David S. Rosenthal, MD
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, Hospital Outreach Program
- Wolfram Goessling, MD, PhD
- Patricia Nolf
- Robert C. Lufkin, DO
- Dan Dewey
- Arielle Densen
- Peter J. Biggs, PhD
- Lorraine A. Sacco
- Ellen M. Fitzgerald, RN
- Central Maine Medical Center, Outpatient Medical Oncology/Infusion Center Nursing Staff
- Brian J. MacDonnell, RN
- Christine Connolly
- Shore Country Day Boys Basketball Team
- Kolleen M. Taylor
- Haymakers for Hope
- Jerry Younger, MD
- David W. Rattner, MD
- Belinda and Henri Termeer
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital Radiation Oncology Treatment Team
- Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition
- Nanci Newton
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- Gary D. Hammer, MD, PhD
- Ronald (Tak) W. Takvorian, MD
- Ryan’s Reindeer
- Malvina and Ben Feinswog
- Henning A. Gaissert, MD
- Pamela L. Trefler
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.