Comprehensive Grammar School Kids Cancer Club
Community Fundraising Organization
In 2011, a band of fourth-graders at the Comprehensive Grammar School in Methuen, Mass., raised nearly $2,500 for the Methuen-Greater Lawrence American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life by creating and selling colorful duct-tape wallets, flowered pencils, headbands and bracelets.
The club grew out of an exchange between then fourth-grader Emma LeBlanc and her teacher, Kelly Sullivan. Emma showed her teacher one of her duct-tape wallets and asked her if she wanted to buy one. Her teacher replied, “Only if it is for a good cause.”
With a beloved aunt newly diagnosed with leukemia, Emma had a cause — cancer research. Many of her classmates also knew of family members with cancer, and in no time, they coalesced into a fundraising unit. The club’s remarkable first year included an invitation to the American Cancer Society statewide summit in Springfield, Mass., where they set up a booth and sold their entire inventory to attendees.
Now in fifth grade, the CGS Kids Cancer Club hopes to raise even more money from their duct-tape creations. Matching ingenuity with a knack for promotion, the club is likely to reach its goal. Featured in a local newspaper and on Fox 25 News, they created a purse and a pair of shoes out of duct tape for anchorwoman Maria Stephanos, who wore the items on the segment.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Robert Howe
- Kevin Campbell
- Lori Wirth
- Mary F. Fay, RN, BSN, OCN
- Amy S. Colwell, MD, FACS
- Edwin K. Lamport
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Stephanie Quinn, MSW, LICSW
- Sandra Creamer, RN, OCN, NP, PhD
- Jeanne Griffin Vaughn, NP
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Dell, Inc.
- James E. Bradner, MD
- Harrison Strickler
- Julia Hincman-Francavilla, MS, RD, LDN, CSO
- St. Mary’s High School Baseball Team
- Jason Maxwell
- Brian N. Napolitano
- Lisa Gatti Whelan, RN, BSN
- Pennies from Heaven
- Anne Fallon
- John Murphy
- Ray Gobbi and Robert Kilroy
- Julian Adams, PhD
- Shiv Pillai, MD, PhD
- Big Y
- Comprehensive Grammar School Kids Cancer Club
- Sue de Vries Cancer Foundation
- Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
- Ashley Bonner
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.