David E. Fisher, MD, PhD
Chief of the Dermatology Service
A world-renowned scientist, clinician and educator, David Fisher, MD, PhD, is chief of the Dermatology Service at Mass General and director of the hospital’s Melanoma Program and Cutaneous Biology Research Center.
Dr. Fisher’s laboratory studies the basic science of skin pigmentation and examines the molecular and genetic events that lead to melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer. He discovered the key pathways regulating development of melanocytes and the fundamental mechanisms underlying skin tanning.
Dr. Fisher is a past president of the Society for Melanoma Research, the largest international society dedicated to the study of melanoma.
As a clinician, Dr. Fisher works to translate laboratory findings into advances in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of human diseases related to the skin. He is a vigorous advocate of public education about sun protection and the dangers of tanning.
The Edward Wigglesworth Professor of Dermatology at Harvard Medical School, Dr. Fisher is dedicated to educating future generations of physician-scientists. He has mentored a host of leaders in dermatology and cancer research.
An accomplished concert cellist who received a degree from the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, Dr. Fisher earned his PhD under Nobel Laureate Génter Blobel, MD, PhD, at Rockefeller University and pursued his postdoctoral research with Nobel laureate Phillip Sharp, PhD, at MIT.
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition
- Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund
- Margaret B. Pulsifer, PhD
- Kimberly Shannon, RN
- Donald P. Lawrence, MD
- Clare H. Swan, RN, MSN
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, Hospital Outreach Program
- Roberto DeJesus
- Kevin S. Emerick, MD
- Patricia M. LoRusso, DO
- David L. Berger, MD
- Giovanni’s Gladiators
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital Radiation Oncology Treatment Team
- BOTSwana Oncology Global Outreach (BOTSOGO)
- Stephen A. Scullen
- Karen M. Winkfield, MD, PhD
- Father John P. Kearns
- Angels Above
- Annika, Gabriella and Jack Johnson
- Keith D. Lillemoe, MD
- Carol Sullivan
- Ryan’s Reindeer
- Jim Coghlin Sr. and 15-40 Connection
- Peter J. Biggs, PhD
- Ellen M. Fitzgerald, RN
- Shelia O’Donoghue, RN, OCN
- William H. Park
- Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center–Faith Based Cancer Disparities Network
- The Melanoma Research Alliance
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.