Douglas J. Mathisen, MD
Chief, Divison of Thoracic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital
Douglas Mathisen, MD, is chief of the Division of Thoracic Surgery at Mass General and director of its Cardiothoracic Surgery Program. His life-saving expertise and compassion have transformed outcomes for many cancer patients, including Michelle Cadorette.
“Dr. Mathisen has saved my life four times,” writes Michelle, who first met with Dr. Mathisen 12 years ago, when at age 30, she was newly diagnosed with stage IV malignant thymoma.
“My parents and I waited five hours because he had to perform emergency surgery. He arrived in surgical garb, and couldn’t have been more apologetic, cordial or compassionate. He made me feel like I was his only patient that day.
“After removing my tumors, Dr. Mathisen closely followed my progress. Five years later, in 2005, he removed more thymoma tumors. In January 2012, he operated once again to de-bulk malignant tissues that had grown in the ensuing years. He visited me daily during my hospital stay. He was as thrilled as we were that the surgery went so well.
“Dr. Mathisen makes me feel safe and, quite literally, in the best of hands. His care has allowed me to continue teaching high school and live an active and productive life surrounded by my loving, supportive family and friends.”
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Kevin Campbell
- Don Francis, RN, BSN
- Dell, Inc.
- Andrea Paciello
- Jeanne Griffin Vaughn, NP
- Tristan’s Gift of Hope Foundation
- Betty J. Borry Breast Cancer Retreats
- Children’s Tumor Foundation
- Jennifer E. D’Alotto, MSW, LCSW
- Michelle Boutin, Karen Ingwersen, RN, and Michael Keamy
- Yovanny Fana
- Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
- Uniting Against Lung Cancer
- John Murphy
- Breast Intentions, Massachusetts Chapter
- Eileen McGuirk’s Flash Mob
- Kate Murphy
- Jeff Warren
- Amy S. Colwell, MD, FACS
- Robert Howe
- David E. Fisher, MD, PhD
- Estelle Sugarman
- Kim Rock, Michael Jones and Tricia Ferguson – Institution for Savings
- Joshua Sommer
- Friends of Jaclyn
- Big Y
- Joel H. Schwartz, MD, FACP
- Mary F. Fay, RN, BSN, OCN
- Richard L. Deming, MD
- James C. Cusack Jr., MD