Douglas J. Mathisen, MD
Chief, Divison of Thoracic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital
Douglas Mathisen, MD, is chief of the Division of Thoracic Surgery at Mass General and director of its Cardiothoracic Surgery Program. His life-saving expertise and compassion have transformed outcomes for many cancer patients, including Michelle Cadorette.
“Dr. Mathisen has saved my life four times,” writes Michelle, who first met with Dr. Mathisen 12 years ago, when at age 30, she was newly diagnosed with stage IV malignant thymoma.
“My parents and I waited five hours because he had to perform emergency surgery. He arrived in surgical garb, and couldn’t have been more apologetic, cordial or compassionate. He made me feel like I was his only patient that day.
“After removing my tumors, Dr. Mathisen closely followed my progress. Five years later, in 2005, he removed more thymoma tumors. In January 2012, he operated once again to de-bulk malignant tissues that had grown in the ensuing years. He visited me daily during my hospital stay. He was as thrilled as we were that the surgery went so well.
“Dr. Mathisen makes me feel safe and, quite literally, in the best of hands. His care has allowed me to continue teaching high school and live an active and productive life surrounded by my loving, supportive family and friends.”
Help us honor the 2014 one hundredNominate Your Cancer Hero
- Chad Juros
- Tim Cummings, MSW, LICSW
- Ellen Sigal, PhD
- Dorothy Binford
- Jay S. Loeffler, MD, FACR, FASTRO
- Phyllis McNally
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Pennies from Heaven
- Barry Lipsett & Charles River Apparel
- Tiffany Koolakian, RTT
- Richard L. Deming, MD
- Julia Hincman-Francavilla, MS, RD, LDN, CSO
- Mary F. Fay, RN, BSN, OCN
- Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
- Jennifer E. D’Alotto, MSW, LCSW
- Donna Karan and the Urban Zen Foundation
- Brian N. Napolitano
- Julian Adams, PhD
- Nancy and Richard Kelleher
- Arul M. Chinnaiyan, MD, PhD
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Bruce A. Chabner, MD
- Linda J. Verville Cancer Research Foundation
- Pamela Manikas Washek
- Robert Howe
- St. Mary’s High School Baseball Team
- Estelle Sugarman
- Cristina R. Ferrone, MD
- Kailie Laflamme, LICSW
- Tristan’s Gift of Hope Foundation
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer.
There is strength in numbers and Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center proves this each year. the one hundred is the Cancer Center’s annual fundraiser, honoring 100 individuals and groups whose diligence and discoveries, philanthropy and passion have helped advance the fight against cancer. Funds raised at the gala support research, patient care, education and community outreach programs. Meet the Honorees.