Elana and Jack Sargent
In August 2009, when John Sargent was diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor, his 10-year-old daughter Elana and 12-year-old son Jack decided to help find a cure for brain cancer.
Calling her fundraising project “Beading for Brain Cancer,” Elana crafts beautiful bracelets of beads and ribbons in tones of pearl gray, the signature color of advocacy for brain cancer research. Elana sells the bracelets for $10 at local stores, where they are in high demand. At the Stephen E. and Catherine Pappas Center for Neuro-Oncology, where her father receives care, nearly every staff member wears one.
In October 2010, Elana and her family donated $1,000 raised from the bracelet sales to support glioblastoma research at Mass General. They recently made another $1,000 donation in January.
While helping his sister with her project, Jack is also a resourceful fundraiser. Jack organized a student-teacher hockey game at his school, that in one night raised nearly $1,000 for the Cancer Center.
“We are so grateful to our physicians and nurses,” says Lisa, the children’s mother. “We are happy to give back.”
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Marlyn Salazar, BS, RTT
- David N. Louis, MD
- Clare H. Swan, RN, MSN
- Keith D. Lillemoe, MD
- Carrie A. Quadrino
- Robert Stabile, RPh, BCOP
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, Hospital Outreach Program
- E. John Opolski, RN
- 2013 Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Youth Crew
- Chien-Chi Huang
- David L. Berger, MD
- Cape Air
- Jim Coghlin Sr. and 15-40 Connection
- The Paul Foundation
- David W. Rattner, MD
- Ryan’s Reindeer
- Ronald (Tak) W. Takvorian, MD
- Shelia O’Donoghue, RN, OCN
- Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center–Faith Based Cancer Disparities Network
- Team Collette-Black Rose
- Dejan Juric, MD
- Haymakers for Hope
- LUNGevity Foundation
- BOTSwana Oncology Global Outreach (BOTSOGO)
- Central Maine Medical Center, Outpatient Medical Oncology/Infusion Center Nursing Staff
- Ellen M. Fitzgerald, RN
- Lorraine A. Sacco
- Jeff Guyer Family and Friends
- Carol Sullivan
- Karen M. Winkfield, MD, PhD
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.