Frank Lewenberg, a self-employed attorney, turned his experience as a cancer patient into an electronic book entitled, Interesting Times: The Story of My Battle with Brain Cancer.
Four years ago, Frank was diagnosed with glioblastoma and received treatment at the Mass General Cancer Center from a group of clinicians he gratefully describes as his “medical dream team.” Overseeing his care were attending neurologist Fred Hochberg, MD, and Jay Loeffler, MD, chief of Radiation Oncology.
Frank distributes his book via email at no charge, but he invites readers to make a donation to a fund at Mass General that supports brain cancer research and patient care. So far, Frank has raised more than $15,000 for the Cancer Center through his inventive campaign.
Frank’s book is an asset to patients, their families and healthcare professionals in its positive, candid chronicle of his odyssey through diagnosis, treatment and recovery. Fortunately, in its concluding chapter, Frank is back to running and bicycling, enjoying time with his family and friends and living life to the fullest. But with an abiding commitment to helping others through their cancer ordeal, Frank is now also an author and fundraiser.
- St. Mary’s High School Baseball Team
- David E. Fisher, MD, PhD
- Tricia Ferguson, Mike Jones, and Kim Rock – Institution for Savings
- Arul M. Chinnaiyan, MD, PhD
- Nancy and Richard Kelleher
- Amy S. Colwell, MD, FACS
- Ray Gobbi and Robert Kilroy
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH
- Don Francis, RN, BSN
- Teagan Stedman
- Jeanne Griffin Vaughn, NP
- Rhonda McGrail
- Kathleen Murphy
- James C. Cusack Jr., MD
- Kathleen Quinn, RN, BSN, OCN
- Nancy Lee Harris, MD
- Breast Intentions, Massachusetts Chapter
- Ann Murray Paige
- Tiffany Koolakian, RTT
- Tyler Jacks, PhD
- Chad Juros
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Donna Karan and the Urban Zen Foundation
- Lisa Gatti Whelan, RN, BSN
- Comprehensive Grammar School Kids Cancer Club
- Kathleen A. Stakes, RN, MS, CPON
- Harrison Strickler
- Anne Fallon
- Mary Philopoulos
- Edwin K. Lamport
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer.
There is strength in numbers and Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center proves this each year. the one hundred is the Cancer Center’s annual fundraiser, honoring 100 individuals and groups whose diligence and discoveries, philanthropy and passion have helped advance the fight against cancer. Funds raised at the gala support research, patient care, education and community outreach programs. Meet the Honorees.