James E. Bradner, MD
Physician and Scientist
Physician-scientist James Bradner, MD, leads a discovery chemistry laboratory at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. He and his team are working to discover and develop new chemicals targeting pathways of cellular memory, as powerful tools for basic science and as prototype drugs for cancer medicine.
Dr. Bradner and his team have innovated and exemplified a new model of drug discovery, which empowers the international research community with free and unrestricted access to first-in-class drugs. In a field often driven by competitiveness and lengthy, secretive processes, Dr. Bradner is a vigorous advocate of open-source drug discovery, which promises to expedite the rapid translation of new medicines.
When Dr. Bradner’s laboratory discovered a molecule that, in mice, tricks certain cancer cells into behaving as normal cells, he sent samples to labs around the world. The strategy, he told The Atlantic, offers a “more efficient way to do science — and maybe the more honorable way.”
An associate member of the Chemical Biology Program at the Broad Institute and an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School, Dr. Bradner is also a scientific advisor to TargetCancer, which supports fast-track development of therapies for rare cancers. He facilitated its grant-making partnership with Nabeel Bardeesy, PhD, at Mass General, who is building the first comprehensive research program for cholangiocarcinoma.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Mara G. Bloom, JD
- Edwin K. Lamport
- Mary F. Fay, RN, BSN, OCN
- Tim Cummings, MSW, LICSW
- St. Mary’s High School Baseball Team
- Uniting Against Lung Cancer
- Lori Grassette
- Shiv Pillai, MD, PhD
- Andrea Paciello
- Steve Beauville
- Jeanne Griffin Vaughn, NP
- Jay S. Loeffler, MD, FACR, FASTRO
- Linda J. Verville Cancer Research Foundation
- Yi-Bin A. Chen, MD
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Lori Wirth
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Kate Murphy
- Kathy Quinn, RN, BSN, OCN
- James C. Cusack Jr., MD
- Children’s Tumor Foundation
- Vicki A. Jackson, MD, MPH
- Rose M. Watson
- Kevin S. Oh, MD
- Jennifer E. D’Alotto, MSW, LCSW
- Kathleen A. Stakes, RN, MS, CPON
- Dell, Inc.
- Lisa Gatti Whelan, RN, BSN
- Julian Adams, PhD
- Friends of Jaclyn
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.