Jason Efstathiou, MD, DPhil
As both a clinician and researcher, Mass General radiation oncologist Jason Efstathiou, MD, DPhil, is harnessing new technologies to improve the outcomes of patients with prostate and other urologic cancers.
Dr. Efstathiou’s clinical research examines quality of life issues, including investigations of the adverse effects of hormone therapy for prostate cancer, improving radiation therapy for seminoma, and assessing long-term outcomes and late toxicities with bladder-sparing chemoradiation. He also looks at the comparative effectiveness of emerging technologies for the treatment of prostate cancer. He is the principal investigator of a randomized clinical trial that uses patient-reported outcomes to compare the efficacy of intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) to proton beam therapy. He leads an effort to develop the infrastructure for a National Radiation Oncology Registry by leveraging health information technologies and piloting this approach in prostate cancer.
While striving to relieve the suffering of patients, Dr. Efstathiou also strives to empower them. He creates web-based decision aids and support tools for patients and is evaluating the multidisciplinary approach to prostate cancer care.
On an international level, Dr. Efstathiou leads a global outreach initiative in Botswana to provide collaboration and assistance to the country’s oncology community and its patients.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Richard L. Deming, MD
- Dell, Inc.
- Kathleen A. Stakes, RN, MS, CPON
- Mary Philopoulos
- Mara G. Bloom, JD
- John Murphy
- Nancy and Richard Kelleher
- Kate Murphy
- David J. Kuter, MD, Dphil
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Tyler Jacks, PhD
- Yovanny Fana
- Gordon B. Zacks
- Julia Hincman-Francavilla, MS, RD, LDN, CSO
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Anne Fallon
- Jeff Warren
- Ellen Sigal, PhD
- Tim Cummings, MSW, LICSW
- Ann Murray Paige
- Amy S. Colwell, MD, FACS
- Lisa Gatti Whelan, RN, BSN
- Moireen and Aaron Ruotsala
- Sue de Vries Cancer Foundation
- Vicki A. Jackson, MD, MPH
- Comprehensive Grammar School Kids Cancer Club
- Kathy Quinn, RN, BSN, OCN
- Sailing Heals
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Estelle Sugarman
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.