Community Fundraising Organizer
Kevin Campbell is a dedicated fundraiser on behalf of the Cancer Center at Lowell General Hospital, where his wife Joanne was treated for stage IV breast cancer until her death in September 2008.
With Kevin by her side, Joanne courageously endured an aggressive daily regimen of chemotherapy knowing that it would give her a few more years but not save her life. Joanne cherished family gatherings and enjoyed trips with friends, helped her daughter plan her wedding and looked forward to a vacation with Kevin in the Dominican Republic. Sadly, Joanne succumbed to her disease just days before the wedding.
Since 2007, Kevin and his family have participated as a team in the Lowell General Hospital’s annual TeamWalk for Cancer Care. They have raised more than $83,000 to provide patients in need with prosthetics, wigs, transportation, prescription co-pays, fuel assistance and other services. Chair of the 2013 TeamWalk and a member of the event’s advisory board, Kevin also directs the TW5K Club to recruit donors of $5,000 or more.
Kevin and his family lift the spirits of patients, families and staff in another way. Using money intended for their Dominican Republic vacation, they commissioned and installed an inspirational art piece in honor of Joanne in the reception lobby of the Cancer Center. The artwork is inscribed with messages of love and hope from Joanne’s family, friends and caregivers.
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Remy A. Stressenger
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, Hospital Outreach Program
- Cape Air
- Kimberly Shannon, RN
- Carol Sullivan
- David W. Rattner, MD
- William H. Park
- Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center–Faith Based Cancer Disparities Network
- Peter J. Biggs, PhD
- Winter Vinecki
- Ellen M. Fitzgerald, RN
- Annika, Gabriella and Jack Johnson
- Amir T. Fathi, MD
- Central Maine Medical Center, Outpatient Medical Oncology/Infusion Center Nursing Staff
- Dancing With The Teachers
- Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund
- Shelia O’Donoghue, RN, OCN
- Nancy Goodman
- E. John Opolski, RN
- Sarah, Gail and Christopher Doktor
- Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition
- Robert Stabile, RPh, BCOP
- The Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation
- The Paul Foundation
- Haymakers for Hope
- Clare H. Swan, RN, MSN
- Valerie Harper
- Donald P. Lawrence, MD
- Dejan Juric, MD
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.