A successful business owner and philanthropist, Dana Dornsife (pictured here) became a healthcare advocate in 2003 when her brother-in-law, Mike Miller, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Dana researched clinical trial options for Mike and he participated in a trial that extended his life long enough for his youngest daughter to remember him.
Since then, Dana has fought tirelessly to improve options for cancer patients who have been told there is no hope left but who refuse to give up.
In 2006, Dana founded Lazarex Cancer Foundation and currently serves as its president. Lazarex has channeled millions of dollars into connecting end-stage cancer patients to access state-of-the-art cancer care through clinical trials. She is an advocate and champion for the medically underserved who could benefit from medical breakthroughs in trials and early diagnosis and helps them to obtain treatment at cancer centers nationwide.
Believing that the size of a patient’s checkbook should not limit the medical choices they make or the treatments they have access to, Lazarex provides resources to help patients remove treatment barriers — including financial assistance to defray costs associated with participation in FDA clinical trials, helping patients navigate clinical trial options, and by providing funding for a travel companion. The foundation also conducts community education and provides outreach services.
Dana and Lazarex Cancer Foundation are building a bridge to hope and dignity for underserved patients and their families seeking life through clinical trials today because they may not have a tomorrow.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Stephanie Quinn, MSW, LICSW
- Tim Cummings, MSW, LICSW
- Ellen Sigal, PhD
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Edwin K. Lamport
- Pennies from Heaven
- Kathleen Lopez, RN
- Estelle Sugarman
- Cristina R. Ferrone, MD
- David E. Fisher, MD, PhD
- Julia Hincman-Francavilla, MS, RD, LDN, CSO
- Linda J. Verville Cancer Research Foundation
- Vicki A. Jackson, MD, MPH
- Don Francis, RN, BSN
- Moireen and Aaron Ruotsala
- Amy S. Colwell, MD, FACS
- Sailing Heals
- Kathy Giusti
- Kathy Quinn, RN, BSN, OCN
- Yovanny Fana
- Brian N. Napolitano
- Kim Rock, Michael Jones and Tricia Ferguson – Institution for Savings
- James E. Bradner, MD
- Dell, Inc.
- Shiv Pillai, MD, PhD
- Tristan’s Gift of Hope Foundation
- Betty J. Borry Breast Cancer Retreats
- Barry Lipsett & Charles River Apparel
- Mara G. Bloom, JD
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.