Linda J. Verville Cancer Research Foundation
Linda Verville (pictured here) was a beloved wife, mother and grandmother. Her family came to know the depth of Linda’s courage as she battled three types of cancer during the last seven years of her life.
In 2005, her family established the Linda J. Verville Cancer Research Foundation, an all-volunteer nonprofit dedicated to raising funds for cancer research. Its annual Linda’s Legacy Memorial Golf Tournament has raised more than $445,000.
The Verville family’s fundraising currently targets pancreatic cancer, a lethal but under-researched disease. Although it is the cancer with the highest fatality rate, it ranks lowest among major cancers in research funding. Linda’s loved ones intend to change these grim statistics and bring hope to patients and their families.
Two Mass General scientists have received grants from the foundation: Nabeel M. Bardeesy, PhD, is studying the genetic program of pancreatic cancer initiation and progression; and David T. Ting, MD, is devising a blood-based early detection test for pancreatic cancer.
Other grantees are the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, the Lustgarten Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research, the UMass Memorial Foundation Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund and the Pancreatic Cancer Early Detection Laboratory at Johns Hopkins University.
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Remy A. Stressenger
- The Paul Foundation
- Betty Tang
- Central Maine Medical Center, Outpatient Medical Oncology/Infusion Center Nursing Staff
- Jim Coghlin Sr. and 15-40 Connection
- Robert Stabile, RPh, BCOP
- Angels Above
- Cape Air
- Haymakers for Hope
- Ellen M. Fitzgerald, RN
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- David N. Louis, MD
- Carol Sullivan
- Jeff Guyer Family and Friends
- Carrie A. Quadrino
- Nicole Neville and Paige Shin
- Alice B. Hatch
- Marlyn Salazar, BS, RTT
- Sarah, Gail and Christopher Doktor
- Brian J. MacDonnell, RN
- The Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation
- Think Fit For Kids
- Kevin S. Emerick, MD
- Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital Radiation Oncology Treatment Team
- Annika, Gabriella and Jack Johnson
- Granara-Skerry Trust
- Shore Country Day Boys Basketball Team
- Valerie Harper
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.