At age 7, Lori Grassette learned to play guitar, read music and play spoons. Decades later, a two-time survivor of breast cancer, Lori has turned these childhood pleasures into instruments of healing for herself and other cancer survivors.
Lori was living in Kentucky during her first bout with cancer. After completing treatment, she moved to California and reinvented herself as an artist, musician and healer.
A virtuoso spoon player, Lori has had many memorable gigs, including an opportunity to perform with Grammy Award winning zydeco musician Terence Simien. But the audiences she seeks out as a volunteer are cancer patients. She travels to nursing homes and hospitals, raising spirits with her spoons as well as her guitar, mandolin and banjo.
Lori also enjoys introducing cancer patients to the joys of art making. A mixed media artist and jewelry designer with a knack for recycling found objects into dolls and wearable art, Lori shares her enthusiasm and techniques with patients of all ages.
Lori’s childhood friend Shelli Leger writes, “Lori told me, ‘I sing, give spoon demos, teach doll making — whatever it takes. Everyone has been wounded, you know.’ Lori has transformed her wounds into art. She uses her immense creativity and talent for good.”
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Dancing With The Teachers
- Keisha Cobb
- Jerry Younger, MD
- Gary D. Hammer, MD, PhD
- Father John P. Kearns
- Ronald (Tak) W. Takvorian, MD
- BOTSwana Oncology Global Outreach (BOTSOGO)
- Malvina and Ben Feinswog
- Christine Connolly
- Cape Air
- Pamela L. Trefler
- Karen M. Winkfield, MD, PhD
- Grace Cohen
- Anthony H. Russell, MD
- Central Maine Medical Center, Outpatient Medical Oncology/Infusion Center Nursing Staff
- 2013 Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Youth Crew
- Sarah, Gail and Christopher Doktor
- Belinda and Henri Termeer
- Jeff Guyer Family and Friends
- David N. Louis, MD
- Wolfram Goessling, MD, PhD
- LUNGevity Foundation
- Giovanni’s Gladiators
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- Frederick (Fritz) C. Koerner, MD
- Remy A. Stressenger
- Shore Country Day Boys Basketball Team
- Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center–Faith Based Cancer Disparities Network
- Kolleen M. Taylor
- Nicole Neville and Paige Shin
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.