Community Fundraising Organizer
Marla Serwin brought immense talent, energy and resourcefulness to all of her endeavors, including her courageous five-year struggle to survive melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.
She and her loving husband of 25 years, Chris Beuscher, relentlessly researched treatment options and partnered with physician-scientists at the Mass General Cancer Center to explore emerging regimens. While enduring multiple clinical trials that furthered their research, Marla also encouraged her many friends to join her in supporting melanoma research and patient care. She turned her birthdays into fundraisers for the Mass General Melanoma Center.
The devoted mother of two daughters, Marla also had a successful career in the securities industry and was revered by her co-workers. Throughout her ordeal, Marla remained positive and cherished her time with family and friends. In preparing for death, she asked her husband to plan a party for her after she was gone. Along with Chris, Cheryl Matsubara, a co-worker of Marla’s, planned a Celebration of Life that drew almost 200 friends, family members and colleagues from across the country.
In November 2012, Marla died peacefully at her home in Wellfleet, Mass., leaving a legacy that inspires all her loved ones and caregivers.
Her quest for a cure continues through the Marla Serwin Fund for Melanoma Research and Patient Care at the Mass General Cancer Center, established to support the research of David Fisher, MD, PhD, director of the Mass General Melanoma Center, who is working to improve outcomes for patients with melanoma.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Lisa Gatti Whelan, RN, BSN
- Kate Murphy
- Evangelos S. Gragoudas, MD
- Eileen McGuirk’s Flash Mob
- Kevin S. Oh, MD
- Cristina R. Ferrone, MD
- Jennifer E. D’Alotto, MSW, LCSW
- Yi-Bin A. Chen, MD
- Karen J. Krag, MD
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Moireen and Aaron Ruotsala
- Linda J. Verville Cancer Research Foundation
- Kathleen Lopez, RN
- David E. Fisher, MD, PhD
- Rose M. Watson
- Steve Beauville
- Uniting Against Lung Cancer
- Julia Hincman-Francavilla, MS, RD, LDN, CSO
- Kim Rock, Michael Jones and Tricia Ferguson – Institution for Savings
- Arul M. Chinnaiyan, MD, PhD
- St. Mary’s High School Baseball Team
- Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
- Breast Intentions, Massachusetts Chapter
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Teagan Stedman
- Nicole McNerney
- Dorothy Binford
- John Murphy
- Mary F. Fay, RN, BSN, OCN
- Michelle Boutin, Karen Ingwersen, RN, and Michael Keamy