The Avon Foundation Comprehensive Breast Evaluation Center at Massachusetts General provides state-of-the-art breast imaging and surgical consultation services. Since opening in 2002, the center has had a great friend in Mary Philopoulos. Over the past 10 years, Mary has created a healing and caring environment for patients, families and staff through her generous donations of art and flowers.
With boundless energy, creativity and resourcefulness, Mary, age 81, has helped us build our permanent art collection through her special relationship with the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Each year, Mary supports the SMFA scholarship program by purchasing student and alumni art at the school’s annual sale and then donates these works to the breast center, where they adorn our walls.
As the seasons change, so do our floral arrangements, thanks to Mary, who carefully selects and arranges flowers to lift spirits with their color, composition and fragrance.
Mary is not only a friend and benefactor, she is also a patient. She understands that treating patients is a science as well as an art. Her artistry and generosity create an environment that is calming and uplifting for both patients and staff, for which we are grateful.
- Helen Anne D’Alessandro, MD, Staff Radiologist, Breast Imaging Division, Avon Foundation Comprehensive Breast Evaluation Center, Massachusetts General Hospital
Help us honor the 2014 one hundredNominate Your Cancer Hero
- Ellen Sigal, PhD
- Nancy Lee Harris, MD
- Sailing Heals
- Anne Fallon
- Ann Murray Paige
- Bruce A. Chabner, MD
- Tyler Jacks, PhD
- Linda J. Verville Cancer Research Foundation
- Mary Philopoulos
- Philip Gosnell
- Lori Grassette
- Eileen McGuirk’s Flash Mob
- Yovanny Fana
- Lisa Gatti Whelan, RN, BSN
- Dorothy Binford
- Edwin K. Lamport
- Barry Lipsett & Charles River Apparel
- Jay S. Loeffler, MD, FACR, FASTRO
- St. Mary’s High School Baseball Team
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Big Y
- Karen J. Krag, MD
- Nancy and Richard Kelleher
- Amy S. Colwell, MD, FACS
- Kathleen A. Stakes, RN, MS, CPON
- Douglas J. Mathisen, MD
- Betty J. Borry Breast Cancer Retreats
- Tim Cummings, MSW, LICSW
- Stephanie Quinn, MSW, LICSW
- Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer.
There is strength in numbers and Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center proves this each year. the one hundred is the Cancer Center’s annual fundraiser, honoring 100 individuals and groups whose diligence and discoveries, philanthropy and passion have helped advance the fight against cancer. Funds raised at the gala support research, patient care, education and community outreach programs. Meet the Honorees.