The Avon Foundation Comprehensive Breast Evaluation Center at Massachusetts General provides state-of-the-art breast imaging and surgical consultation services. Since opening in 2002, the center has had a great friend in Mary Philopoulos. Over the past 10 years, Mary has created a healing and caring environment for patients, families and staff through her generous donations of art and flowers.
With boundless energy, creativity and resourcefulness, Mary, age 81, has helped us build our permanent art collection through her special relationship with the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Each year, Mary supports the SMFA scholarship program by purchasing student and alumni art at the school’s annual sale and then donates these works to the breast center, where they adorn our walls.
As the seasons change, so do our floral arrangements, thanks to Mary, who carefully selects and arranges flowers to lift spirits with their color, composition and fragrance.
Mary is not only a friend and benefactor, she is also a patient. She understands that treating patients is a science as well as an art. Her artistry and generosity create an environment that is calming and uplifting for both patients and staff, for which we are grateful.
- Helen Anne D’Alessandro, MD, Staff Radiologist, Breast Imaging Division, Avon Foundation Comprehensive Breast Evaluation Center, Massachusetts General Hospital
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Grace Cohen
- Kimberly Shannon, RN
- Pamela L. Trefler
- Annika, Gabriella and Jack Johnson
- Robert Stabile, RPh, BCOP
- Rochelle Shoretz
- Robert C. Lufkin, DO
- Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund
- Roberto DeJesus
- Martha Keochareon
- Central Maine Medical Center, Outpatient Medical Oncology/Infusion Center Nursing Staff
- Kevin S. Emerick, MD
- Ellen M. Fitzgerald, RN
- Shelia O’Donoghue, RN, OCN
- Chris Draft
- Gary D. Hammer, MD, PhD
- E. John Opolski, RN
- William F. Pirl, MD, MPH
- Dan Dewey
- Gaddy A. Getz, PhD
- BOTSwana Oncology Global Outreach (BOTSOGO)
- Winter Vinecki
- Lorraine A. Sacco
- Father John P. Kearns
- LUNGevity Foundation
- Betty Tang
- The Melanoma Research Alliance
- Wolfram Goessling, MD, PhD
- Betty A. Maloney, RN
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.