The Mass General Department of Emergency Medicine Avon Walk Volunteers
Since 2004, the Mass General Department of Emergency Medicine has been the medical sponsor of the annual Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Boston. A devoted team of volunteers contributes an extraordinary amount of time and resources to this popular event, which raises funds for the Avon Foundation for Women.
Participants choose to walk either 26.2 miles or 39.3 miles over two days. Last year, more than 2,500 walkers raised more than $5.8 million for breast cancer research, clinical care, early detection, support services, education and advocacy.
As the Avon Walk Boston Medical Team, the Mass General volunteers begin their work months in advance, organizing and donating all necessary medical supplies and equipment. Throughout the weekend, they provide medical care to the walkers, as well as more than 400 volunteers, treating needs that vary from blisters and cuts to more serious conditions.
With great energy, enthusiasm and skill, the Mass General team has been essential to ensuring the safety and success of the Avon Walk and its thousands of participants.
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Rosemarie Murphy
- Jim Coghlin Sr. and 15-40 Connection
- E. John Opolski, RN
- Annika, Gabriella and Jack Johnson
- Henning A. Gaissert, MD
- Margaret B. Pulsifer, PhD
- David N. Louis, MD
- Susan Wornick
- Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center–Faith Based Cancer Disparities Network
- Betty Tang
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- Cape Air
- The Melanoma Research Alliance
- Karen M. Winkfield, MD, PhD
- Roberto DeJesus
- Nagahiro Saijo, MD, PhD
- Jerry Younger, MD
- Nanci Newton
- Kolleen M. Taylor
- Keisha Cobb
- The Paul Foundation
- Pamela L. Trefler
- Lorraine A. Sacco
- Belinda and Henri Termeer
- Haymakers for Hope
- Grace Cohen
- Patricia M. LoRusso, DO
- Nicole Neville and Paige Shin
- Central Maine Medical Center, Outpatient Medical Oncology/Infusion Center Nursing Staff
- Amir T. Fathi, MD
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.