Michelle Boutin, Karen Ingwersen, RN, and Michael Keamy
Expert massage therapy is one of the wellness services provided by the HOPES Program at the Mass General Cancer Center. A trio of superb massage therapists — Michelle Boutin, Karen Ingwersen, RN, and Michael Keamy — integrate massage into many clinical areas, bringing patients healing therapies that improve their quality of life during treatment.
Michelle Boutin is an excellent communicator and educator who alleviates any concerns patients may have about massage as a treatment modality. She inspires confidence in patients and colleagues and is spot-on in determining a patient’s need — from a spirited discussion about the Bruins’ prospects to compassionate silence.
Karen Ingwersen is a skilled and sensitive clinician with a knack for building rapport with patients and families whether in an outpatient chemotherapy unit or when treating patients coping with a long hospital stay. Karen is also an oncology nurse and generously shares her knowledge and insights with colleagues.
Michael Keamy treats patients in the inpatient and infusion units. By providing massage prior to a needle stick or lumbar puncture, Michael relaxes the patient and the tissues, easing the procedure. His skill at explaining the benefits of massage and his calm, healing presence comfort distressed patients.
The HOPES Program massage therapy team is a vital presence throughout the Cancer Center.
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Alice B. Hatch
- Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center–Faith Based Cancer Disparities Network
- Gaddy A. Getz, PhD
- Martha Keochareon
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- Valerie Harper
- Ronald (Tak) W. Takvorian, MD
- Betty A. Maloney, RN
- Pamela L. Trefler
- William F. Pirl, MD, MPH
- The Paul Foundation
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital Radiation Oncology Treatment Team
- Carrie A. Quadrino
- LUNGevity Foundation
- The Melanoma Research Alliance
- Christina Kim, NP
- Gary D. Hammer, MD, PhD
- BOTSwana Oncology Global Outreach (BOTSOGO)
- Sarah, Gail and Christopher Doktor
- Central Maine Medical Center, Outpatient Medical Oncology/Infusion Center Nursing Staff
- Nancy Goodman
- Team Collette-Black Rose
- Caring for a Cure
- Shelia O’Donoghue, RN, OCN
- Father John P. Kearns
- The Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation
- Jeff Guyer Family and Friends
- Wolfram Goessling, MD, PhD
- Robert Stabile, RPh, BCOP
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, Hospital Outreach Program
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.