Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
Nurse Practitioner, MassGeneral Hospital for Children Cancer Center
Nurse practitioner Patricia Kent, MS, RN, CPNP, of the MassGeneral Hospital for Children Cancer Center excels at guiding children and their parents through life-changing illness.
Patricia helped Matthew Cirelli cope with cancer and keep up with his life as a high school senior determined to graduate and attend his high school prom. Patricia adapted Matthew’s treatment schedule and called to check in on him after cycles of inpatient chemotherapy. “Just what every kid wants — two moms,” Matthew wryly told his mother, Barbara, after Patricia looked in on him during a hospital stay.
“With great kindness as well as wit, humor and patience, Patricia gained Matthew’s trust,” says Barbara. “She understands that it’s hard enough being a teen, let alone having to deal with cancer.”
When first-grader Matt Gerace was diagnosed with leukemia, Patricia visited his school to help his classmates understand what he was going through and pave the way for his return.
“Patricia wanted to know Matt’s total outlook,” says Ron, Matt’s father. “He was studying guitar and playing lacrosse and soccer. She coached him on handling challenges beyond treatment.
“Pediatric cancers affect a child’s sense of well-being. And young children aren’t sure why all this is happening to them. Every day, Patricia sees kids who are facing the ultimate challenge and parents who hang onto her every word. Patricia changed our lives and will always be special to us.”
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Eileen McGuirk’s Flash Mob
- Julia Hincman-Francavilla, MS, RD, LDN, CSO
- Barry Lipsett & Charles River Apparel
- Anne Fallon
- Teagan Stedman
- Friends of Jaclyn
- Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
- Big Y
- John Murphy
- Dorothy Binford
- Kate Murphy
- Sandra Creamer, RN, OCN, NP, PhD
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- George R. Lillie, RN
- Kathleen A. Stakes, RN, MS, CPON
- Betty J. Borry Breast Cancer Retreats
- Don Francis, RN, BSN
- Nancy and Richard Kelleher
- Harrison Strickler
- Yovanny Fana
- Andrea Paciello
- Tina Capodilupo Journeay
- Robert Howe
- Michelle Boutin, Karen Ingwersen, RN, and Michael Keamy
- Vicki A. Jackson, MD, MPH
- Comprehensive Grammar School Kids Cancer Club
- Jay S. Loeffler, MD, FACR, FASTRO
- Rose M. Watson
- Philip Gosnell
- Corey Jacobson
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.