Patrick Stiff, MD
Physician and Researcher
Patrick Stiff, MD, director of the Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center at Loyola University, is one of the pioneers for curing or slowing leukemia with umbilical cord blood transplants. His focus is not just local, but has been about training, educating and advocating the global medical community about this form of treatment.
My father, diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, was one of Dr. Stiff’s patients who required a stem cell transplant to beat this disease. When no family matches were found, through Dr Stiff’s team and the efforts of the blood bank, my father was matched with a donated umbilical cord from a German family halfway around the world.
Dr. Stiff led my father’s transplant procedure, and gave him the strength, optimism and courage to fight on. Because of this transplant, my father was able to see his first-born grandson play his first game of T-ball. While ultimately the leukemia returned, my father had two additional years to spend with his wife and our family.
I am deeply thankful for doctors like Dr. Stiff who break medical ground and enable the cures and treatments that give us more time with our loved ones.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- James E. Bradner, MD
- Dell, Inc.
- Comprehensive Grammar School Kids Cancer Club
- Anne Fallon
- Uniting Against Lung Cancer
- Yovanny Fana
- Tiffany Koolakian, RTT
- Julian Adams, PhD
- Kate Murphy
- Philip Gosnell
- Rose M. Watson
- Richard L. Deming, MD
- Eileen McGuirk’s Flash Mob
- Edwin K. Lamport
- Kathleen Lopez, RN
- David J. Kuter, MD, Dphil
- Shiv Pillai, MD, PhD
- Linda J. Verville Cancer Research Foundation
- Kevin S. Oh, MD
- Lazarex Foundation
- Arul M. Chinnaiyan, MD, PhD
- Julia Hincman-Francavilla, MS, RD, LDN, CSO
- Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
- Michelle Boutin, Karen Ingwersen, RN, and Michael Keamy
- Jay S. Loeffler, MD, FACR, FASTRO
- Barry Lipsett & Charles River Apparel
- Donna Karan and the Urban Zen Foundation
- Chad Juros
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Nicole McNerney
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.