Pennies from Heaven
In 2001, Jon and Joni Perry founded the Pennies from Heaven-Keeping Families Together Fund to help parents in financial need remain at the bedside of their sick children during long hospital stays.
When their toddler, Trevor, was admitted to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh to receive treatment for acute lymphocytic leukemia, the couple was saddened to see that many young patients endured long hours alone in the hospital because their parents could not afford to take time off from work.
After Trevor was discharged and back home with his parents, memories of those lonely children and their anguished parents moved Jon and Joni to create this fund.
With the help of their volunteer board of friends, they have raised nearly $2 million and assisted more than 30,000 families. All of the money generated through their events, such as an annual Oktoberfest, goes directly to the fund.
Assisting parents with the cost of transportation, food, sibling care or other expenses, Pennies from Heaven helps kids and their loved ones stay together at a time when they need each other most.
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Nicole Neville and Paige Shin
- BOTSwana Oncology Global Outreach (BOTSOGO)
- Remy A. Stressenger
- Sarah, Gail and Christopher Doktor
- Karen M. Winkfield, MD, PhD
- Keisha Cobb
- Ellen M. Fitzgerald, RN
- Belinda and Henri Termeer
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital Radiation Oncology Treatment Team
- Ronald (Tak) W. Takvorian, MD
- Kimberly Shannon, RN
- Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund
- Robert C. Lufkin, DO
- Marlyn Salazar, BS, RTT
- Dejan Juric, MD
- Brian J. MacDonnell, RN
- Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition
- Patricia M. LoRusso, DO
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- Nanci Newton
- Joseph A. Greer, PhD
- Christine Connolly
- Wolfram Goessling, MD, PhD
- Gaddy A. Getz, PhD
- Rochelle Shoretz
- Martha Keochareon
- Jordan Rich
- Kevin S. Emerick, MD
- Patricia L. Nebus, RN
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.