Pennies from Heaven
In 2001, Jon and Joni Perry founded the Pennies from Heaven-Keeping Families Together Fund to help parents in financial need remain at the bedside of their sick children during long hospital stays.
When their toddler, Trevor, was admitted to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh to receive treatment for acute lymphocytic leukemia, the couple was saddened to see that many young patients endured long hours alone in the hospital because their parents could not afford to take time off from work.
After Trevor was discharged and back home with his parents, memories of those lonely children and their anguished parents moved Jon and Joni to create this fund.
With the help of their volunteer board of friends, they have raised nearly $2 million and assisted more than 30,000 families. All of the money generated through their events, such as an annual Oktoberfest, goes directly to the fund.
Assisting parents with the cost of transportation, food, sibling care or other expenses, Pennies from Heaven helps kids and their loved ones stay together at a time when they need each other most.
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition
- Belinda and Henri Termeer
- Sarah, Gail and Christopher Doktor
- 2013 Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Youth Crew
- Nanci Newton
- Jim Coghlin Sr. and 15-40 Connection
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, Hospital Outreach Program
- David N. Louis, MD
- Henning A. Gaissert, MD
- Ryan’s Reindeer
- Roberto DeJesus
- Granara-Skerry Trust
- Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund
- Robert C. Lufkin, DO
- Kevin S. Emerick, MD
- Robert Stabile, RPh, BCOP
- Martha Keochareon
- Wolfram Goessling, MD, PhD
- Rochelle Shoretz
- Charles L. Sawyers, MD
- Shore Country Day Boys Basketball Team
- Margaret B. Pulsifer, PhD
- Chien-Chi Huang
- The Paul Foundation
- Brian J. MacDonnell, RN
- BOTSwana Oncology Global Outreach (BOTSOGO)
- Kolleen M. Taylor
- Kimberly Shannon, RN
- The Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation
- Donald P. Lawrence, MD
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.