Many people may regard the Edwin L. Steele Laboratory in the Mass General Department of Radiation Oncology as a high-powered, smoothly running cancer research machine based on the quality of the pre-clinical and translational work being done there. The person who keeps this 75-person strong lab a well-organized operation is Phyllis McNally, senior administrative assistant and laboratory manager.
Phyllis coordinates activities across all scientific projects and research cores, from ensuring regulatory compliance and supervising maintenance and safety inspections to preparing purchase orders and overseeing fulfillment to specifications. She always completes her meticulous work on time and, when necessary, does not hesitate to stay late and work weekends.
Investigators and lab staff can count on Phyllis for prompt, expert assistance. She is a pleasure to work with and easily cultivates working relationships with vendors and collaborating laboratories. Many of the visiting research fellows affectionately refer to her as “Mommy” in a variety of languages, a greeting she answers to in her distinctive Boston accent.
Phyllis understands the importance of her contribution to combating cancer. By mastering the day-to-day pragmatic issues of running a large research organization, she frees investigators to drive towards a cure. According to her colleagues, Phyllis is every bit as responsible for the paradigm-shifting discoveries and clinical trials as anyone else in the Steele Lab.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- James C. Cusack Jr., MD
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Anne Fallon
- Yi-Bin A. Chen, MD
- Nancy Lee Harris, MD
- Lori Grassette
- Bruce A. Chabner, MD
- Brian N. Napolitano
- Barry Lipsett & Charles River Apparel
- Eileen McGuirk’s Flash Mob
- Chad Juros
- James E. Bradner, MD
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Mary Philopoulos
- Pennies from Heaven
- Phyllis McNally
- Ann Murray Paige
- Kathleen A. Stakes, RN, MS, CPON
- Ray Gobbi and Robert Kilroy
- Rhonda McGrail
- Nicole McNerney
- Sue de Vries Cancer Foundation
- Kevin Campbell
- St. Mary’s High School Baseball Team
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Jeff Warren
- Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
- Steve Beauville
- Breast Intentions, Massachusetts Chapter
- Uniting Against Lung Cancer
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.