Richard J. Lee, MD, PhD
Medical Oncologist, Claire and John Bertucci Center for Genitourinary Cancers
Mass General medical oncologist Richard Lee, MD, PhD, is a cutting-edge researcher, but to his patients, Dr. Lee’s humanity is as large as his scientific expertise.
Dr. Lee is applying circulating tumor cell (CTC) technology to study prostate cancer under a Stand Up 2 Cancer Dream Team research grant. He also treats men with genitourinary cancers.
Moved by Dr. Lee’s compassionate care of her son Joaquin, Sonia Andujar inspired her loved ones to write letters of gratitude.
One friend writes, “Dr. Lee gives Joaquin and Sonia what all patients and their families need — hope.” Sonia’s nephew Armando adds, “Joaquin’s cancer strikes not just him but our whole family. Dr. Lee keeps my Aunt Sonia strong and positive.”
Another patient, Tim Quinn, writes, “Dr. Lee diagnosed my cancer and proposed aggressive treatment. I was scared to death, but he made me feel that I was going to be fine.”
A renowned makeup artist, Tim wanted to color his hair and go tanning before starting chemotherapy. “Noting that I’d lose my hair, Dr. Lee advised me to instead, ‘embrace interesting hats and bold fashion statements for a few months,’ reminding me that a sense of humor was going to carry me forward.
Dr. Lee helped me face cancer head on with strength, knowledge and a bit of irreverence.”
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Patricia A. Kent, MS, RN, CPNP
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Estelle Sugarman
- Rose M. Watson
- Tiffany Koolakian, RTT
- Big Y
- Ray Gobbi and Robert Kilroy
- Comprehensive Grammar School Kids Cancer Club
- Donna Karan and the Urban Zen Foundation
- Gordon B. Zacks
- Phyllis McNally
- John Murphy
- Steve Beauville
- Kathleen A. Stakes, RN, MS, CPON
- Douglas J. Mathisen, MD
- Kim Rock, Michael Jones and Tricia Ferguson – Institution for Savings
- Dorothy Binford
- Ann Murray Paige
- Dell, Inc.
- David J. Kuter, MD, Dphil
- Children’s Tumor Foundation
- Uniting Against Lung Cancer
- Kate Murphy
- Jennifer E. D’Alotto, MSW, LCSW
- Barry Lipsett & Charles River Apparel
- Ashley Bonner
- Vicki A. Jackson, MD, MPH
- Cristina R. Ferrone, MD
- Mary Philopoulos
- Julian Adams, PhD