In 2006, Robert (Bob) Howe and his best friend, Lee Kennedy, co-founded the Boston Chapter of Golfers Against Cancer, which contributes all proceeds from its annual dinner to breast cancer research at the Mass General Cancer Center. As chapter co-director, Bob leads the charge, making generous donations and drumming up support from his high-profile guests.
Bob brings immense talent, charisma and heart to all he does. He and his wife Janice have three grown children and eight grandchildren. Chairman of the consulting firm he co-founded in 1980, Atlantic Data Services, Inc. (ADS), Bob is also a vigorous philanthropist, serving on boards of various organizations he supports.
In 1969, Bob received a Bronze Star for his service in the U.S. Marine Corps in Vietnam. Now, Bob is combating cancer. A two-time cancer survivor, Bob is currently receiving treatment at Mass General for lung cancer.
“I’ve come to know Bob not only as a philanthropist but also as a friend and fellow warrior against cancer,” writes Beverly Moy, MD, clinical director of the Breast Oncology Program at Mass General. Dr. Moy first met Bob in 2004, after treating his business partner’s daughter for aggressive breast cancer.
“Bob has raised more than $1 million for breast cancer research,” writes Dr. Moy, “and he has provided insightful guidance as a member of the Mass General Cancer Center Leadership Council. He is a wildly energetic, hilarious, humble and amazing man. He’s had a huge part in the success of our research.”
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Dejan Juric, MD
- Central Maine Medical Center, Outpatient Medical Oncology/Infusion Center Nursing Staff
- Betty A. Maloney, RN
- Rochelle Shoretz
- Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition
- Patricia L. Nebus, RN
- Anthony H. Russell, MD
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- Keisha Cobb
- Wolfram Goessling, MD, PhD
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital Radiation Oncology Treatment Team
- Annika, Gabriella and Jack Johnson
- David N. Louis, MD
- Ryan’s Reindeer
- 2013 Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Youth Crew
- Carrie A. Quadrino
- E. John Opolski, RN
- Gaddy A. Getz, PhD
- Donald P. Lawrence, MD
- Jim Coghlin Sr. and 15-40 Connection
- Winter Vinecki
- BOTSwana Oncology Global Outreach (BOTSOGO)
- Shore Country Day Boys Basketball Team
- Nicole Neville and Paige Shin
- The Melanoma Research Alliance
- Robert Stabile, RPh, BCOP
- Carol Sullivan
- Christina Kim, NP
- Think Fit For Kids
- Keith D. Lillemoe, MD
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.