Community Fundraising Organization
I came to know Patrick Sullivan and his wife Samantha while their son Finn and my son Shane were receiving proton therapy for rhabdomyosarcoma at Mass General. Patrick exhausted every avenue to provide the most effective treatment and palliative care for Finn, never betraying an ounce of self-pity.
Recognizing that Finn had a mighty spirit and two equally mighty siblings — his twin brother Baird and older sister Sarah — Patrick and his wife Sam developed and lived by a mantra that captured Finn’s kinetic joy: ‘Run Jump Bounce Dance Sing Love Smile and Ride.’
Taking cues from Finn, the Sullivans derived joy and normalcy from often dire circumstances instead of regarding cancer as a battle with winners and losers. I’ve come to share their view, as the years that we have benefited from having Shane in our lives are indescribable.
Finn died in 2008. Three months later Team Finn was formed. Rallying friends and family for the annual Vancouver-to-Seattle Ride to Conquer Cancer and other events, Team Finn has raised over $1.2 million dollars for pediatric cancer research at the BC Cancer Agency and to help families in need.
The Sullivans and Team Finn are my heroes for their efforts to advance pediatric cancer treatment and for their example of living fully during a very difficult time.
— Bill King
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Kate Murphy
- Dell, Inc.
- Lisa Gatti Whelan, RN, BSN
- Mary F. Fay, RN, BSN, OCN
- Pamela Manikas Washek
- Shiv Pillai, MD, PhD
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Evangelos S. Gragoudas, MD
- Lori Wirth
- James C. Cusack Jr., MD
- Friends of Jaclyn
- Dorothy Binford
- Jeanne Griffin Vaughn, NP
- Teagan Stedman
- Rose M. Watson
- Estelle Sugarman
- Comprehensive Grammar School Kids Cancer Club
- Rhonda McGrail
- Steve Beauville
- Tyler Jacks, PhD
- Kim Rock, Michael Jones and Tricia Ferguson – Institution for Savings
- Jason Maxwell
- Richard L. Deming, MD
- John Murphy
- Nicole McNerney
- Ashley Bonner
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Nancy and Richard Kelleher
- Sandra Creamer, RN, OCN, NP, PhD
- Chad Juros
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.