The Ellie Fund
In 1995, Jeff (pictured here) and Eliot Popkin founded the Ellie Fund in loving memory of their mother, honoring her nine-year battle against breast cancer and her philanthropic spirit. Today, the Needham-based nonprofit provides transportation to medical appointments, childcare, housekeeping, groceries and nutritious delivered meals free of charge to more than 500 breast cancer patients and family members across Massachusetts annually.
The Ellie Fund’s small compassionate staff works closely with the hospital social workers so needs can be addressed, often in as few as 48 hours. Many patients and families remain involved with the Ellie Fund after they complete treatment by volunteering or raising money to support other families.
Breast cancer survivor and WCVB-TV5 news anchor Kelley Tuthill has been witness to some remarkable Ellie Fund “miracles.” A Mass General patient with stage IV breast cancer wanted to be reunited with her family in Iran and the Ellie Fund helped make this possible. Another Mass General patient with a terminal diagnosis received Christmas gifts for her family for two years.
“As a breast cancer survivor, I can tell you first hand this organization is making a huge difference in the lives of patients all over Massachusetts,” says Kelley.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Jason Maxwell
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Joel H. Schwartz, MD, FACP
- Tyler Jacks, PhD
- Julian Adams, PhD
- Kevin Campbell
- Marla Serwin
- Don Francis, RN, BSN
- Jay S. Loeffler, MD, FACR, FASTRO
- Tristan’s Gift of Hope Foundation
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Vicki A. Jackson, MD, MPH
- Pennies from Heaven
- John Murphy
- Karen J. Krag, MD
- Bruce A. Chabner, MD
- Ellen Sigal, PhD
- Jeff Warren
- Stephanie Quinn, MSW, LICSW
- Sue de Vries Cancer Foundation
- Eileen McGuirk’s Flash Mob
- Kim Rock, Michael Jones and Tricia Ferguson – Institution for Savings
- Amy S. Colwell, MD, FACS
- Pamela Manikas Washek
- Rose M. Watson
- Friends of Jaclyn
- Uniting Against Lung Cancer
- Betty J. Borry Breast Cancer Retreats
- James C. Cusack Jr., MD
- Estelle Sugarman
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.