Sue de Vries Cancer Foundation
The Sue de Vries Cancer Foundation has elevated the quality of daily life for patients at the Mass General-North Shore Cancer Center. Thanks to its grants, patients take part in a rich array of wellness services at no cost, including massage, Reiki and acupuncture. They receive these treatments in a serene sanctuary, the Sue de Vries Wellness Room, or in the chair as they are receiving treatment. The setting and services relieve pain and anxiety and promote healing in mind and body.
The Sue de Vries Cancer Foundation has been run by a group of determined volunteers, who have dedicated themselves to the fundraising efforts since 2006.
Sue de Vries (pictured here) was a vibrant woman whose compassion and generosity guided her five-year battle with breast cancer. While undergoing treatment, Sue became a highly effective advocate for breast cancer education and research. She and her friend, Penny Wigglesworth, created “Sue’s Circle of Hope,” a support group for patients living with cancer. Until her death in April 2006 at age 44, Sue was helping others cope with cancer.
Sue’s loved ones have expanded “Sue’s Circle of Hope” into the Sue de Vries Cancer Foundation, a volunteer-run nonprofit dedicated to fulfilling her vision of compassionate care.
Help us honor the 2014 one hundredNominate Your Cancer Hero
- Harrison Strickler
- Jennifer E. D’Alotto, MSW, LCSW
- Anne Fallon
- Kathy Giusti
- Arul M. Chinnaiyan, MD, PhD
- Breast Intentions, Massachusetts Chapter
- Pamela Manikas Washek
- Andrea Paciello
- Douglas J. Mathisen, MD
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Lisa Gatti Whelan, RN, BSN
- Cristina R. Ferrone, MD
- David J. Kuter, MD, Dphil
- Robert Howe
- Michelle Boutin, Karen Ingwersen, RN, and Michael Keamy
- Kathleen A. Stakes, RN, MS, CPON
- Chad Juros
- Julia Hincman-Francavilla, MS, RD, LDN, CSO
- Moireen and Aaron Ruotsala
- Ellen Sigal, PhD
- Melissa Skolny, MSHA, Cynthia Miller; Lauren Jammallo; Jean O’Toole, PT, MPH; and Michelle Specht, MD, Mass General Lymphedema Screening Team
- Marla Serwin
- Barry Lipsett & Charles River Apparel
- Children’s Tumor Foundation
- Tyler Jacks, PhD
- David E. Fisher, MD, PhD
- Rose M. Watson
- Evangelos S. Gragoudas, MD
- Bruce A. Chabner, MD
- Comprehensive Grammar School Kids Cancer Club
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer.
There is strength in numbers and Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center proves this each year. the one hundred is the Cancer Center’s annual fundraiser, honoring 100 individuals and groups whose diligence and discoveries, philanthropy and passion have helped advance the fight against cancer. Funds raised at the gala support research, patient care, education and community outreach programs. Meet the Honorees.