Tom Hamilton's Treatment Team
John R. Clark, MD, Daniel G. Deschler, MD, Paul M. Busse, MD, PhD
I went to Mass General after being diagnosed with Stage III cancer elsewhere. I was seeking compassion and encouragement as well as a second opinion.
I felt good arriving at Yawkey. I liked its size and its views of Beacon Hill — a reminder of life beyond cancer.
The doctors I met with — John Clark, MD; Dan Deschler, MD, and Paul Busse, MD, PhD — were well-versed in what was going on with me. Unlike the doctors who had diagnosed me, who had the air of scientists, these physicians were both well-informed and personable. They confirmed the diagnosis, but injected encouragement in their explanation of the difficult days to come.
‘I am on this case like a laser,’ Dr. Deschler (pictured right) assured me. Dr. Busse (pictured left) described the complexity of radiotherapy while focusing on me rather than the machines. Dr. Clark (pictured center), my oncologist, quickly expanded our conversation to include other matters than cancer. He’s been my physician and friend. He never made me feel that he had to hurry to the next patient, although I’m sure on many days he did.
These doctors obliterated my tumor and then supported me in the years after treatment. They helped me to have optimistic but realistic expectations about life after cancer.
— Tom Hamilton
Nominate someone you know who is making a difference in the fight against cancer!NOMINATE TODAY
- Cape Air
- Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center–Faith Based Cancer Disparities Network
- The Cardio-Oncology Program: Sanjeev Francis, MD, Marielle Scherrer-Crosbie MD, PhD, and Tomas Neilan, MD
- Remy A. Stressenger
- 2013 Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Youth Crew
- Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition
- Frederick (Fritz) C. Koerner, MD
- Patricia M. LoRusso, DO
- Martha Keochareon
- Dejan Juric, MD
- Peter J. Biggs, PhD
- Ryan’s Reindeer
- Think Fit For Kids
- Jim Coghlin Sr. and 15-40 Connection
- Team Collette-Black Rose
- Central Maine Medical Center, Outpatient Medical Oncology/Infusion Center Nursing Staff
- Ronald (Tak) W. Takvorian, MD
- Betty A. Maloney, RN
- Annika, Gabriella and Jack Johnson
- The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, Hospital Outreach Program
- Donald P. Lawrence, MD
- Robert C. Lufkin, DO
- Dan Dewey
- Karen M. Winkfield, MD, PhD
- Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund
- Chris Draft
- Nagahiro Saijo, MD, PhD
- Winter Vinecki
- Malvina and Ben Feinswog
- LUNGevity Foundation
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.