Uniting Against Lung Cancer
The New York-based foundation Uniting Against Lung Cancer is dedicated to finding a cure for the most common cause of cancer death in the United States — a disease that kills nonsmokers and smokers alike.
Uniting Against Lung Cancer grew out of another nonprofit, Joan’s Legacy: The Joan Scarangello Foundation to Conquer Lung Cancer. In 2001, 47-year-old journalist Joan Scarangello, a nonsmoker, died of lung cancer two decades after her mother, also a nonsmoker, died of the same disease. Joan vowed to find a cure and her fight has inspired her family and friends and now an entire community to keep her promise.
Over the past 10 years, the nonprofit has made research grants totaling more than $10 million. Its forward-looking investments have triggered another $50 million in follow-on funding from other sources.
Encouraging new talent and collaboration, the foundation holds an annual meeting for its grantees including both junior and senior investigators, who obtain feedback from physician-scientists at the forefront of lung cancer treatment and research.
Among the foundation’s funding priorities is the development of new therapies based on genetic profiling. The foundation has been in the vanguard of funding such translational research, including pioneering studies at Mass General to match therapies with patients’ genetic profiles.
Celebrate the one hundred 2014Join Us on June 10
- Michelle Boutin, Karen Ingwersen, RN, and Michael Keamy
- Gordon B. Zacks
- Farrah Fawcett and the Farrah Fawcett Foundation
- Jeanne Griffin Vaughn, NP
- Douglas J. Mathisen, MD
- Kathleen A. Stakes, RN, MS, CPON
- Linda J. Verville Cancer Research Foundation
- Tyler Jacks, PhD
- Sue de Vries Cancer Foundation
- Lisa Gatti Whelan, RN, BSN
- St. Mary’s High School Baseball Team
- Anne Fallon
- Barry Lipsett & Charles River Apparel
- Rose M. Watson
- Betty J. Borry Breast Cancer Retreats
- Mara G. Bloom, JD
- Kathleen Lopez, RN
- Mary Philopoulos
- Big Y
- The Center for Cancer Risk Assessment Genetic Counselors at Mass General
- Cristina R. Ferrone, MD
- Nicole McNerney
- Sailing Heals
- Eileen McGuirk’s Flash Mob
- Marla Serwin
- Joshua Sommer
- Shiv Pillai, MD, PhD
- Jennifer E. D’Alotto, MSW, LCSW
- Kate Murphy
- Estelle Sugarman
Mass General honors 100 individuals and groups for their diverse contributions to the fight against cancer. Meet the Honorees.